As an example I have just installed XFCE within Peppermint Linux. The only issue I have is with the audio settings. If I click the speaker icon I get the following message
"GStreamer was unable to detect any sound devices. Some sound system specific GStreamer packages may be missing. It may also be a permissions problem."Now when I am searching Google for an answer I will type "XFCE " and then paste in the error message.
The 2nd item on the list actually gave me the clue to what I needed to do. All I had to do was run the following command:
sudo apt-get install gstreamer0.10-plugins
Google is first on my list because it really is the first place to look. The only criticism of Google is that there is as much misleading information as there is good information. (for instance one of the links within my search for Tekkit help genuinely suggested that I turn off the firewall software whilst running Tekkit).
2. Linux Support Forums
- Search the forum - It is highly likely that the question you are about to ask has been asked before. Searching the forum is not only polite because it saves the forum administrators constantly redirecting users to the post that answers the question but it means you get the answer to your problem sooner.
- Find the right section of the forum to post your question - Posting your question in the wrong section of the forum will delay the response and it will again mean a moderator has to move the question to the correct forum.
- Only ask your question in one section of the forum - Asking your question in multiple places within the same forum will just annoy the moderators and it will not get you an answer any quicker.
- Be patient - People who post answers on forums are usually doing it for nothing. If you post a question and then refresh your browser 2 minutes later, find no answers and then buzz to see why nobody answered is considered bad form.
3. IRC Chatrooms
4. You Tube
5. Yahoo Answers
- Ubuntu (http://ubuntuforums.org/)
- Linux Mint (http://forums.linuxmint.com/)
- Fedora (http://www.fedoraforum.org/)
- PCLinuxOS (http://www.pclinuxos.com/forum/index.php)
- OpenSuse (http://forums.opensuse.org/forum.php)
- Zorin (http://zorin-os.webs.com/apps/forums/)
- Mageia (https://forums.mageia.org/en/)
- Debian (http://forums.debian.net/)
- Arch (https://bbs.archlinux.org/)
- Centos (http://www.centos.org/modules/newbb/)
- Puppy (http://murga-linux.com/puppy/)
- Bodhi (http://forums.bodhilinux.com/)